The full-scale invasion of russia delayed the coal mining towns’ in Donbas plans and strategies for a just transition. The war exacerbates the problems of these communities. There is the destruction of critical infrastructure and the flooding of mines with all the accompanying environmental consequences, in addition to the already existing environmental problems caused by the coal industry. People are forced to evacuate, and it is not known if they will return to their communities. However, the just transition of Donbas coal towns will help create conditions not only for post-war green recovery, but also for further sustainable economic and social development.
- In particular, it is important to pay attention to such areas as energy, environmental protection, economy, education, housing policy, gender equality and inclusiveness.
- Energy security issues should be solved not only by rebuilding the infrastructure but also by shifting the focus to low-carbon and energy-efficient technologies, with the development of distributed generation from renewable energy sources.
- Solving issues of environmental and technogenic safety should involve solving problems that arose as a result of the coal industry functioning, as well as due to destruction caused by military actions, and should also take into account the impact on the health of the population.
- Economic recovery and economic development of coal mining communities should include diversification of the economy, take into account communities’ specific features and conditions, and promote sustainable development.
- Education for the recovery of mining communities should include reforming the education system, career guidance, re-profiling and support of specialists of different age groups.
- It is important to provide housing and access to social infrastructure, as one of the determining factors for defining the possibility of living in a certain area.
- Finally, it is important to consider the aspect of gender equality and universal accessibility in matters of employment, education, remuneration, etc.
Civil Society Position on Coal Mining Communities’ Just Transition in the Post-War Recovery of Ukraine (PDF)