A strategic session “Economic Diversification. Potential, strategies and tools for development of coal mining towns of Donetsk region” took place on the 12th of March in Kyiv. The list of participants included representatives of the Platform for Sustainable Development of Coal Towns, Donetsk Regional Civil-Military Administration and international projects that are working in eastern Ukraine.
The participants of the meeting analyzed the strengths of the Platform’s towns for economic diversification, including:
- availability of transport and social infrastructures;
- availability of professional engineers and technicians, universities and colleges;
- understanding of the necessity for towns to develop energy efficiency measures and renewable energy sources;
- decentralization reform and tourism potential of the region.
In addition, they discussed potential areas of inter-municipal cooperation for overcoming joint challenges, such as:
- mine water purification for alternative water supply;
- establishment of Local Community Development Fund, creation of an online platform for presentation of local products;
- mapping of non-formal education programs;
- developing a strategy for changes in the towns that depend on the decisions made on the national level.
“One of the pillars of a just transition of the coal regions is the diversification of their economy. First and foremost, it is creating job opportunities for the local population. Such strategic sessions with the representatives of international organizations that are ready to help the mining towns are a positive step towards the implementation of specific joint projects”, – said Kostiantyn Krynytskyi, Head of Energy Department of Ecoaction.
The event was co-organized by projects New Energy – New Opportunities for Sustainable Development of Donbas (NGOs Ecoaction, Luhansk Region Human Rights Center “Alternativa”, Germanwatch), USAID “Economic Resilience Activity” and project FORBIZ|EU4Business – Creating a Better Business Environment.
Valentin, 066 545 14 88